It is a difficult question to answer but many people go overboard and think that spending a fortune would help them to get the best motherboard. The notion is a misconception as requirements vary from one individual to another. Some of the expensive boards are even not compatible with computer. Motherboard is the primary part of a computer and one should carefully follow certain tips to get the required product. It is available in different configurations and could be used in gaming as well as servers.
Types of motherboards
- There are different kinds of CPUs in the market namely from Intel and AMD. Both are different because of the socket types that are used to plug into the computer. Sockets are necessary to ensure that the motherboard communicates in a seamless manner with the chipset.
- Intel sockets are equipped with friendly and technical names. The former is easier to remember while the latter one signifies the configuration in detail. Since the sockets vary, it is vital to know whether the motherboard is compatible.
- The consumer sockets of the Intel have lower power output and also higher power for the processor with series Core I7 900.
- As far as AMD is concerned, it has only 3 power sockets in the market. They are termed as AM2, AM2+ and AM3 and are compatible with all the AMD processors.
Features of motherboards
- Motherboards that have 10 GB dual network ports can prove to be handy for the users because they do not have to spend money in buying a similar network switch. On board VGA slot is extremely necessary because many servers still deploy the VGA cards to provide high resolution images.
- The slot is also equipped with IPMI LAN port to connect to the network because it is useful to transfer offline remote backup of the data. Enterprises can immensely benefit from the situation that would go a long way in delivering impeccable results. They can switch on or off the computer.
- Prior to the selection of the motherboard, one should assess the cost benefit ratio to arrive at the best conclusion. Dedicated hardware jumper switches in server can boost the efficiency of the motherboard by many notches as they deliver impeccable performance.
Consumer motherboard with a break out fan module to ensure silent operation is handy for the users operating personal computer. They can focus on the task without bothering about the disturbances.
In addition thermal probes are also available with the board to carry out the system monitoring in an effective manner. Audio head phone jack is bundled with the motherboard to execute the complex audio files in easy and effective way.
People looking to buy the motherboard for the gaming objectives should make sure that enough space is available to install the large heat sink fan because the temperature of the GPU can increase within a very short time. Motherboard should be equipped with the facility for core voltage adjustment.
A basis motherboard for users with minimum requirements should have video chipset and also the AGP slot. In addition, it should support high data transfer rates from one computer to another. There is not a single answer to what is the best motherboard. For instance, if you are a gamer, it is vital to choose a motherboard that has 4 slots.
If the video card has to be added, one should use 4GB RAM. Gaming enthusiasts who tend to over clock the CPU can look for motherboards that have the capability to modify the FSB speed as well as the voltage requirements.
One should also search for DDR2 RAM as it is the fastest in the market and would go a long way in delivering impeccable results to the users.
Cross fire motherboard is a rage among the gamers because it can be used to combine the two graphics card to deliver exceptional results in the form of faster and realistic videos.
Due to the higher standard of graphic, the cross fires would prove to be the standard in the future. Instead of using the SATA 1 controller for gaming, it is vital to use SATA 2 because of the high data transfer speed.
Gaming graphics can deliver wonderful resolution provided the speed is on the higher side. If you are implementing RAID for the gaming applications, it is vital to select the mother board with 4 SATA2 ports.
In addition extra features can help to get the desired output. For example, one should check whether the USB 2.0 ports are provided in the product.
Buying expensive motherboard does not necessary mean that it meets the specifications of the system. You need to examine the audio and video ports on the motherboard. They should deliver optimum performance according to the claims of the manufacturers.
The audio and video sounds are purchased separately to ensure that the gaming applications are seamlessly executed by the processor.
Chipset plays an important role in the purchase of the motherboard. It provides the framework to facilitate the communication between CPU, RAM and video card.
Chipset integrates the north bridge and the south bridge to enhance the processing power of the computer. North Bridge is instrumental in enhancing the communication between CPU, RAM and also video card. Therefore, people can relish the usage of cross fire and DDR3 to bean clear images while playing the games.
Resolution would be mind blowing as the gamers with relish the performance in an easy and hassle free manner. South bridge is instrumental in facilitating the operations of PCI-E, SATA and USB 3 without any problem. It is geared towards better performance.
Majority of users do not have any clarity regarding requirements and end up buying the motherboards that are not essential. In order to prevent such occurrence, you should formulate the objectives beforehand.
Prior to purchase, try to figure what as to why you would be needing motherboard with a particular configuration. Requirements for a gamer might vary from the businesses buying motherboard for commercial purposes.