Selecting the memory for the computer is a tricky task as RAMs of different configurations available in the market. People are often confused on what to buy and end up purchasing the most expensive option. It can back fire as the memory channels might not be compatible with the system. If you are not sure, check the manual of the computer to identify the RAM configuration as it would go a long way in delivering impeccable results to the users.
Number of modules
It is important to ascertain the maximum size of the memory module which could be compatible with the computer system. If you are buying the module that is larger than the slot, it would not fit properly and create lots of problems from long term perspective.
You can check the motherboard to count the total memory slots.
Buying the type of the RAM is equally important as it can affect the performance of the system. DRAM, SDRAM and RDRAM could be used with any of the tree modules namely SIMM, DIMM along with RIMM.
Speed of the memory
- RAM which you are selecting should provide speedier access to the data so that the system performance is improved by many notches. Memory kits comprising of multiple channels can be used to bolster the speed of the data transfer by many notches. It is bound to deliver impeccable results to the users as far as performance is concerned.
- Populating the memory with unmatched RAM sticks can prove futile because the motherboard would not be able to meet the expectations of the users.
Configuring the memory banks
In some personal computers, the memory slots are situated in close vicinity to the CPU. They need to be filled before the next slots are fitted with the sticks. Bank should be equipped with largest RAM module to ensure the data transfer without any hassles.
ECC: is it necessary?
If the system is equipped with error correction capabilities, it is important to buy the EEC memory so that the performance is improved. Non parity and ECC modules combine together to manage complex software applications on the system.
If you want to know the type of memory required by the computer, count the number of chips located in the memory module. In case the number of memories is divided by 3, it is termed as parity memory.
Select the interface
Prior to purchasing the motherboard, interface type should be selected to arrive at the correct decision. DDR3 is not backward compatible with the older versions of the RAM, therefore you should think carefully before proceeding ahead with the purchase.
Selection of frequency
Frequency of the memory is an important factor that has to be taken into consideration. A RAM with a lower frequency mounted on a motherboard with higher frequency can cause damages to the system and also create problems related in incompatibility of the components. DRAM can proved to be an ideal memory types as it boasts of a higher clock speed.
Amount of memory
- Generally the RAM requirement ranges from 4 GB to 16 GB, however for running advanced graphics applications it is important to aim for higher memory modules.
- They work together to deliver high performance system in an easy and hassle free manner. While buying the ram, operating system’s capacity has to be taken into consideration. For instance 32 bit OS can only support 4GB RAM.
For higher upgrades, it is vital to not only install 64 bit OS but also similar type of CPU. The whole modification might cost a lot as far as expenditure is concerned.
Do timings matter?
Each RAM has a latency time as its attribute because data transfer from the memory to the controller takes some time. Generally the whole duration is quite small but a slight increase can negatively impact the performance.
Timings can be changed using the BIOS of the motherboard. People may be tempted to buy the biggest RAM with lowest possible latency but they should also factor in the cost before opting for the upgrade. Over clockers are quite popular among the users because they not only modify the timings but also the frequency of the system.
Novices should never attempt the above mentioned process or else the RAM becomes unstable. While doing over clocking, one can notice a sudden rise in the temperature of the RAM, therefore one should make sure that the experts handle the whole procedure in an impeccable manner.
Toss between single and multiple channels
- Majority of users are in dilemma to use single, dual or triple channel RAM. They buy wrong configurations that might not only affect the performance but also the pocket to a great extent. Numbers of channels are actually the amount of paths that have to be taken for communication to the memory controller.
- If the figure is on the higher, the data access speed of the RAM would also be amazing and wonderful. Selecting the number of sticks can have an impact on the final performance of the system. Sometimes 4 sticks do not deliver better output as compared to two RAM modules.
Restrictions for the LAPTOP RAM
Most of the laptops have only two slots of RAM, therefore not more than two sticks can be fixed into the slot. Single memory module is preferred because it provides better upgrades for the future as compared to the multiple memory versions. Majority of the laptops use DDR3 memory because of the high data transfer rate.
It is vital for the users to buy RAM from trusted manufacturers. Some of them provide life time warranty that would go a long way in delivering impeccable results to the users.
Novice users who are not familiar with the configurations of RAM should conduct extensive research to get more information. Numerous blogs and websites provide detailed data about specifications to make the best choice. They are necessary to take the right decision or else you may end up choosing the wrong product and wasting lot of money.